Thursday, November 6, 2008

Fourth Week

difflugia








scene of more difflugia











rotifer





















Vorticella

I saw two or three vortecella in my aquarium. It is interesting how they hold onto a plant with a long, thin stalk. When I tap on the aquarium with a pen, it snaps down to the plant. Then it slowly uncoils the stalk to return to its original position.


Lacrymaria.

This is a fasinating organism. It has one cell in the center of its body, but its neck is so long that when it extends it, the neck is longer than the body. It is always moving around. It is found in the middle of my aquarium. The neck is several times longer than the body. It moves by extending its neck, and then contracting it so its body is pulled along.


Diatoms

These are still the most numerous organism in my aquarium. There are so many that sometimes I forget them simply because they are always there. It is suprising that I thought diatoms could not move, but then I saw one move and my instructor told me that they can move. Sometimes they are by themselves but most of the time they are in large groups. Sometimes they stick together in clumps.

























No comments: